Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Annabel Chung is a henchman appearing in Dr. No. Supposedly a photographer employed by local Kingston newspaper, the Daily Gleaner; in reality she is employed by the primary villain Dr. No to spy on James Bond. She is portrayed by former Miss Jamaica, Marguerite LeWars.
Annabel Chung first appears in the film at Kingston airport where she attempts to take a photograph of James Bond as he arrives in Jamaica. Bond half-consciously shields his face with his hat and gets into a car chauffeured by another of Dr. No's minions, Jones.
She later tries to take another photo of Bond a as he is discussing plans with Felix Leiter and Quarrel at a Jamaican calypso restaurant. This time she is spotted by Bond who orders Quarrel to seize her. Bond asks her who she is working for and she replies that she was working for the Daily Gleaner, a local newspaper in Kingston. When Bond asks the head waiter, Puss Feller, to check it out, she is forced to change her story and confess that she was a freelance photographer. She then attempts to physically harm Quarrel by cutting his face with a broken flashbulb from her camera. Quarrel seems unaffected and threatens to break her arm. Bond then destroys her film and she is set free, never to be seen again, after stating that the men will be sorry for their actions.
- Marguerite LeWars, who portrayed the photographer, was the reigning Miss Jamaica at the time of shooting in 1962. She worked at the Kingston Airport when the producers invited her to audition, but for Miss Taro. As Taro required being "wrapped in a towel, lying in a bed, kissing a strange man", LeWars asked to play the photographer instead.
- She was nicknamed Freelance by Bond.
- She is often known simply as the "Photographer" as her name is never said in the film.
- She is the first female villain in a Bond film. Though she does not pose as a physical threat to Bond but only a spy for the villain.
- Her name is not mentioned in the film. But in the novel her name is Annabel Chung.