Bill Tanner is MI6's Chief of Staff. The character was portrayed from 2008 to present by Rory Kinnear and appears in the James Bond films Quantum of Solace (2008), Skyfall (2012) and Spectre (2015). Kinnear also voices Tanner and provides his likeness for the 2010 remake of the GoldenEye 007 game, the original game Blood Stone (2010) and 007 Legends (2012).
Quantum of Solace
He is seen in the beginning of the movie, tracking Bond's movements in Turkey, telling M that 007 is on the Grand Bazaar, chasing Patrice.
Bill Tanner is first seen taking Bond by boat on the river Thames to MI6.
Tanner then helps with the assault on the nine eyes program.
Behind the scenes
Following an almost decade-long absence from the series, Tanner returned to the Bond film series in Quantum of Solace (2008), once again in his familiar position as M's aide. He was played by a different actor, Rory Kinnear, giving Judi Dench (plays M) the distinction of having played opposite two different actors playing the role of Tanner. Kinnear is also the godson of Dench's late husband Michael Williams.
- Leaked Sony Pictures e-mails dated circa October 2013 reveal that Spectre screenwriter John Logan, pitched the idea that Tanner should be revealed as a SPECTRE mole within MI6. The idea, along with many others from early drafts, were subsequently abandoned or re-written.
- He is the only Tanner thus far to appear in the games
- Bill Tanner (Literary)
- Bill Tanner (Michael Goodliffe)
- Bill Tanner (James Villiers)
- Bill Tanner (Michael Kitchen)