Giovanna Goodthighs is a fictional SMERSH operative and assassin in the employ of Le Chiffre. The character appeared in the unofficial 1967 spoof James Bond film Casino Royale and was portrayed by Jacqueline Bisset.
Miss Goodthighs is a SMERSH agent who attempts to kill baccarat master Evelyn Tremble (operating under the alias James Bond 007) at Casino Royale in a bid to prevent him from bankrupting her employer Le Chiffre. She meets him in a hotel room, wearing a nightgown and cradling a large bottle of champagne suggestively in her arms. Despite successfully seducing and poisoning him with a spiked drink, he is rescued by his recruiter and ally Vesper Lynd. When Tremble asks what became of her, Lynd remarks that she "took care of her".
Behind the scenes
In 2001, Jacqueline Bisset recounted her first big role in Casino Royale, notoriously describing leading man Peter Sellers as "horrible to work with". Recollecting the events of her first scene with Sellers, she described how he turned and fired a gun directly into her face as a "sick joke".
- "There was a blank in the gun and the burning gunpowder and shreds of the blank hit me directly in the face. First I thought I had actually been shot, and when I realised it had been a blank I thought I had been blinded. My face looked like a shower spout of pin pricks leaking blood. Everyone on the set could see that I had dozens of tiny wounds. Of course I dropped the bottle of champagne on my foot as well."
- ― Jacqueline Bisset, Avignon-NY Film Festival (April 2001).
Notably, her character is credited and referred to only as Miss Goodthighs. Some contemporary magazine articles refer to her character as "Giovanna Goodthighs"; but the first name is never used in the movie. In addition to her role as Miss Goodthighs, Bisset also appeared as an extra who stands behind Orson Welles' Le Chiffre during the film's casino scenes.
- ↑ Dangerous clown (English). The Telegraph (23 Apr 2001). Retrieved on 2016-09-16.
- ↑ "Page Six", New York Post (20 Apr 2001).
- ↑ DVD audio commentary, Region 1, with film historians Steven Jay Rubin and John Cork. Bisset, after playing the casino extra in early footage, was cast again as Miss Goodthighs.